WOW! What a term! In my mind I always feel like the Summer term should be the easiest, its the shortest and it should be the wind down… But it never is! What with the last rush to get work finished ready for marking, the Art Exhibition, exam marking and moderation, detailed reports to write for the year, not to mention end of term activity days out… So I have not had two minutes to spare to update my blog.
But now that I have finished for the summer I have set some time aside to upload a scheme of work that I have used for the last few years for my Year 10 classes in the Summer term. It is based on a visit to Brighton but you could adapt it for a visit to any local place of interest.
Scheme of Work (Word DocX) – YR10 ART Sense of Place
Scheme of Work (Word Doc) – YR10 ART Sense of Place
Pinterest Board – https://uk.pinterest.com/pipsticks/art-a-sense-of-brighton-gcse/?etslf=4019&eq=sense
I wanted to share with you all some of my schemes of work so I have started with one that I have been using for a while now.
YR10 ART Altered Nature Term 1&2 2015
I use it as the first project for year 10 GCSE artists and have been tweaking it for the last few years and I feel I have now got it to a place where I am happy with it. It runs for a term and a half and results in a 3D ceramic outcome. I have added a few images to show some of the outcomes from the course of the project.
This term I have spent working thorough the basis of using the DSLR camera. Hopefully this should give my GCSE Photography class a solid understanding of the basics, such as shutter speed, aperture, ISOs, composition etc, before they undertake more project/theme based work later this term.
I have uploaded all of my lesson Powerpoints to the department website which is here:
‘The Basics’ lesson Powerpoints
Here is my scheme of work also:
Yr10 The Basics SOW 2015
As you can see from my last post I am in full resource making mode now the summer holidays are nearly over I am trying to get my Department Photography Website finished. I am very nearly there and just need to complete a couple of pages.
I will be adding my class presentations, student work and their websites as the year progresses so keep checking back for updates!
The link is: http://pcornel4.wix.com/canburyphotodept
As well as teaching Art and Design I am responsible for teaching D&T at my school. These images are of some of the tie dye pieces my year 8 class produced last week. These will eventually become mini cushions once the students have appliquéd their designs on to them in the coming weeks.
Tie Dye is such a fun thing to do and the students can never wait to unwrap the elastic bands to see how their pieces have turned out. It would be a great techniques to use in art and design class!
Here are the step by step sheets I provided students with in the lesson (just right click to save)
Year 10 were lucky enough to have a visiting artist come and work with them for a day. The class have been looking at cells and microscopic organisms. Leading up to this workshop they had experimented with oil pastel close up studies and have investigated the the shapes and forms found in cells.
Adrienne Roberts, our visiting ceramic artist, started the day by getting the students to make quick pen studies of individual cell forms, this then lead on to getting the students to experiment with different ways to make marks in clay. Adrienne brought with her a range of materials for the students to press in to the clay to get different effects.
After this the students set about creating a design idea for their cell inspired piece. The students drew in the knowledge they had gained from the previous tasks and were able to develop some excellent ideas. The last task was to replicate their design in clay, all the students managed this well and produced some great pieces.
I would whole heartedly recommend bringing in an artist in to the classroom, it gave the students a refreshing experience which they all thoroughly enjoyed!
Pupils were tasked with finding a base image of a face for a homework task, they then brought this to the next lesson. As usual there were some that did not have the homework so I have a few images photocopied for those that did not have anything.
As a starter I showed the class a selection of abstract portraits from other artists and we discussed these as a class.
I gave a quick demo of the task and then they set about cutting up bits and pieces from the magazines provided (ones I have found particularly good are fashion magazines for facial features/clothing and also The National Geographic for animal parts and textures).
The pupils really enjoyed making the faces as crazy as possible!