As well as teaching Art and Design I am responsible for teaching D&T at my school. These images are of some of the tie dye pieces my year 8 class produced last week. These will eventually become mini cushions once the students have appliquéd their designs on to them in the coming weeks.
Tie Dye is such a fun thing to do and the students can never wait to unwrap the elastic bands to see how their pieces have turned out. It would be a great techniques to use in art and design class!
Here are the step by step sheets I provided students with in the lesson (just right click to save)
Year 10 were lucky enough to have a visiting artist come and work with them for a day. The class have been looking at cells and microscopic organisms. Leading up to this workshop they had experimented with oil pastel close up studies and have investigated the the shapes and forms found in cells.
Adrienne Roberts, our visiting ceramic artist, started the day by getting the students to make quick pen studies of individual cell forms, this then lead on to getting the students to experiment with different ways to make marks in clay. Adrienne brought with her a range of materials for the students to press in to the clay to get different effects.
After this the students set about creating a design idea for their cell inspired piece. The students drew in the knowledge they had gained from the previous tasks and were able to develop some excellent ideas. The last task was to replicate their design in clay, all the students managed this well and produced some great pieces.
I would whole heartedly recommend bringing in an artist in to the classroom, it gave the students a refreshing experience which they all thoroughly enjoyed!
In the first term year 7 are introduced to a range of different media, this week they have been woking with batik. Their theme is Under the Sea and so they have created batik samples based on fish, an octopus and a starfish.
They first lightly traced off the image onto their fabric square in pencil. I had two batik pots set up on a separate table with 2 tools in each, when their trace was complete they were called up individually so that I did not have too many students around the hot wax at one time. I had another mini activity sheet printed so that those that were waiting for the wax has something to occupy them. We did not have any fabric paints so I we used watery block paint, which worked well and although its not wash proof would be fine as the samples are just to be stapled into the students sketchbooks.
Power point for the lesson: Batik PP